Here you will find information to make the season as enjoyable as possible for players, parents, helpers, coaches and spectators. We hope you will gain an idea of how we function, what you can expect of us, what we expect of our members, and importantly how parent/carers can become more involved in the Junior Section. We are always keen to listen to new ideas and if you feel there is information we should include for future seasons please tell us.
We aim to ensure that all children get the opportunity to represent Wangaratta Hockey Club. We hope that it will be a positive experience that they will look back on with pride. We expect all representatives of the Club to act in accordance with the Junior Club Rules. The Manager/Coach will inform you of any match details via the Stack Team App, Facebook, email or text message as soon as possible. Replies are expected to ensure parent have received the message. You need to respond as to your child’s availability and any transport requirements. Please ensure you supply a current email address.
Information on players
Information on young players is collected via registration forms. It is then collated on a database by our membership secretary. The leader of each coaching session has a register which contains all relevant medical information. Only coaches and authorized Club personnel have access to this database.
2023 Junior Coaches
Our coaches have completed Level 1 coaching course with SportAus https://www.sportaus.gov.au and have their Working with Children Checks.
- All the junior teams train together during the season on a Thursday night at 4.30-5.30pm.
- Training and home games are located at the Cathedral College Wangaratta Hockey field at 344 Wangaratta-Whitfield Rd, Wangaratta VIC 3677.
- Drive in the front entrance to the school and immediately turn left and follow the road around to the back of the school where you will find the synthetic hockey field.
- Wangaratta Hockey Club is part of the Hockey Albury Wodonga Association.
- Our home games are played at Cathedral College Wangaratta Hockey field at 344 Wangaratta-Whitfield Rd, Wangaratta VIC 3677. Located at the rear of the school.
- Our away games can be played at Albury, Wodonga or Corowa grounds
What to bring to training and games:
- Drink bottle
- Suitable clothing for wet / cold weather.
- Hockey shin pads and mouth guards are essential!
- Chairs for the family to sit and enjoy the game
Wangaratta Hockey Club provide players a shirt for the session. This is returned to the Club on the last game of the year. Black shorts or skirts are worn and if required are available to loan from the club. Wangaratta Hockey Club socks are available for purchase from the club. Other merchandise to purchase is also available.
Juniors fees are set out on the membership fee form attached. If you would like to establish a payment plan, please contact the Club secretary by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to make enquiries.
In case of poor weather please contact the junior coaches. See coaches details above for phone numbers. We play in most conditions, however we will cancel training or games, if we feel that the conditions could expose the players to undue risk.
Coaches plan all sessions to be as safe as possible, however due to the nature of the game and the playing surface accidents can and do occur. We will always inform you of any first aid incident involving your child and the actions that we took.
Wangaratta Hockey Club is adopting a Child Protection Policy, to ensure that the welfare and safety of children in the care of Wangaratta Hockey Club is always the primary consideration.
Our policies are predicted on the following three principles:
- A child’s welfare is the paramount consideration.
- A child, regardless of age, ability, gender, racial origin, religious belief and sexual orientation has a right to be protected from abuse.
- The rights, dignity and worth of a child should always be respected.
Our commitment to child safety
Wangaratta Dragons Hockey Club believe that the safety and welfare of children should always be of paramount importance under all circumstances. Everyone with a role in working with children has a moral and legal obligation to safeguard and promote a child’s welfare, particularly when it comes to protecting children from abuse. We believe that special care is needed in dealing with children whose age, inexperience or physical state makes them particularly vulnerable to abuse. We are committed to providing an environment where children can learn about, participate in and enjoy hockey free from the fear of harassment or abuse. If any child or parent has any concerns please contact Paula Collins – Club Secretary (Mobile 0418 656 706)
Code of Behaviour – Young Players
Wangaratta Hockey Club is fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the well-being of all its members. The club believes that it is important that members, coaches, administrators and parents associated with the club should, at all times, show respect, be encouraged to be open at all times and to share any concerns or complaints that they may have about any aspect of the club with the club president.
As a member of Wangaratta Hockey Club you are expected to abide by the following Junior club rules.
- All members must play Hockey within the laws and in the spirit of the game.
- All members must respect colleagues, opponents and officials. Do not make derogatory comments or gestures about your colleagues or opponents. Never try to intimidate the opposition by threats or excessive celebrations.
- Be polite to umpires and respect their decisions. Do not show dissent.
- Inappropriate behaviour on or off the pitch, such as throwing tantrums or hockey sticks invites sanctions from club officials.
- Members should keep to agreed timings for practice and matches or inform their coach or team manager at the earliest possible opportunity if they cannot play or are going to be late.
- All members must wear the appropriate kit in an appropriate fashion – including shin pads and mouth guards. A mouth guard must be worn at all times during training and match play.
- All members must pay the appropriate memberships and match fees promptly.
- All parents and spectators are requested to abide by the Hockey Victoria Code of Behaviours – please see attached.